Discover our courses starting in September 2019 

Wrexham Glyndwr University Logo
WGU ten years
University open dayOpen Evening
chat to admissions
your safety


Here are some useful numbers to have in your phone…

University emergency number 24/7 - 01978 293 333

Security mobile 1  - 07764 687 909  mobile 2 - 07764 687 910

Wrexham main reception - 01978 290 666

Northop reception - 01978 293 690

Police (non-emergency) - 101

Police/Fire Service/Ambulance (emergency) - 999

Station Cars (taxi rank next to Wrexham General train station) - 01978 363 661 

Wrexham & Prestige Taxis - 01978 291 999

There are lots of little things that you can do that can have a big impact on your safety. Here are some tips for staying safe on and off campus…

  • If it looks unsafe, it probably is. Avoid it and report it.
  • Try to avoid walking home alone and stick to well lit, busy roads (using the pavement!) especially at night.
  • Lock doors and windows when you leave your accommodation – even if it’s for a few minutes!
  • Only let people into your accommodation or that you know. If you see anyone loitering around your Halls or the university buildings or looking suspicious, report it to security or the police.
  • Keep your valuables safe – don’t leave your phone or laptop unattended.
  • Make sure things that are important to you are insured or protected.
  • Slips, trips and falls are really common - if you see something that might cause an accident (broken steps/lights/blocked doorway) report it to the estates department.
  • Know your limits on nights out – its great to have fun, but drinking too much can put you in danger. Don't go too mad and that way you'll be able to remember all the laughs the morning after.
  • Take care in the kitchen when cooking (especially after a night out) as fire in uni accommodation is a real risk - candles, cigarettes and E-Cigarettes/Vapes are banned in Halls so don't be tempted to light up!
  • If you get into a situation where you don’t feel safe, go to the nearest place with lots of people and tell someone what's happened.
  • If you experience a crime – contact the police. In an emergency, call 999 or if it is no longer an emergency (eg a theft) call 101.


You can find lots more safety info and tips in the student handbook - download it here Health and Safety Booklet .

staying safe at uni

Bullying and Harassment

No student should ever have to face any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination and as a University we are committed to providing a safe learning environment for all our students, regardless of their social or cultural background.

What to do if you are being bullied or harassed

If you find yourself the victim of bullying, harassment or discrimination whilst at university, it can be a very upsetting experience and can make you feel very alone and isolated.

In certain circumstances, it may be an option to try and resolve the situation by talking to the perpetrator themselves and ask them to stop.  They may not realise that what they perceive to be as ‘banter’ is actually causing you offence or distress.  A simple conversation may be enough to make the person rethink their behaviour. 

If a face-to-face resolution is not possible, or the situation has been escalated by doing so, then it may help to talk to someone you can trust – perhaps a close friend, a family member or your course tutor.  Sometimes just sharing the problem can be a huge weight off your shoulders. 

You are also welcome to talk to a member of Student Services – we have advisers and trained counsellors available who are happy to discuss your issues in complete confidence, whether you are just after some initial advice or you are looking to take things further.

The university has a policy in place which explains the steps you can take if you feel that the situation needs to be dealt with through official channels.

You can view our Harassment and Bullying policy here - Harassment & Bullying Policy 2016-17.

Single Sex Acommodation

When you make your application for accommodation, you have the option to select single sex flats. The accommodation team will meet this request, this would only become an issue if the applicant applies late and we have few rooms left.

If after you arrive, you decide you would prefer to live in single sex accommodation, you may be able to move to a more suitable flat, providing that one is available. However, you will have to pay a £50 room move charge for this.

Get in touch with the accommodation team for more info

University open dayOpen Evening
chat to admissions