Introduction to Search Dog Handling
This course introduces the basic skills, knowledge and understanding required of a Search Dog handler to ensure the provision of a professional level of service.
You will have the opportunity to complete practical work as part of a simulated search dog handling team and the module is designed to help prepare and direct you towards the training required for a career in this area.
This course has been developed in conjunction with UK-K9 Training for Excellence and is endorsed by NASDU (National Association of Security Dog Users).
What you will study
During this course, you will study:
- Introduction to Handler & Dog Qualities
- Principles of Search Training
- Search Methods & Management
- Recording & Documentation
- Specialist Security & Detection Dogs
- Training and Career Planning
Online with 2.5 days at Northop campus.
2 weeks of online learning materials and 2.5 days face-to-face.
You will need to complete two assessments:
1. The first will be a simulated search exercise where you take on the role of a member of a search dog handling team and will be tasked to plan and perform a practical search.
2. The second will be a reflective log of your performance on the simulated search activity
Course start dates
Online content available from 5th April. Face-to-face sessions 2.5 days – Mon 19th April – Wed 21st April
Visit the online store to book.
* The booking for this course closes a week before the course start date. If you would like to find out more about future dates for this course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org