Introduction to Cyber Security
This course will allow students to learn the fundamental knowledge concerning computer security, basic cyber threats and the corresponding detection and defence techniques. Core security concepts, terminology, technologies and professional cyber security skills will be introduced via case studies and experiments.
What you will study
This course will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to cyberspace and cyber security: computer security, web security, operating system security, wireless/network security, mobile security, programming security.
- Concepts and terminology of cyber security: basics of encryption and cryptography, virtual platform, cloud, protocols, hacking, malware, virus, botnets, pentest, information security practice/standards.
- Basic coverage of security software: anti-virus software, packet sniffers, anti-spyware, intrusion detection/protection software, digital forensics software, pentest software.
- Introductory overview of network security: types of networks, network protocols, network security and protection, VPNs, firewall configuration/maintenance, network intrusion and detection systems.
- The human factor in security: authorisation mechanisms, usability issues, risk analysis and control, cyber-ethics, cyber bullying, social media attacks.
This course will run twice in 2021:
Course 1 starts the week commencing 3rd May 2021
Course 2 starts the week commencing 28th June 2021
Online. The total learning time on the module is 200 hours. Online sessions will be available for students to engage with the learning materials.
Students are assessed by three compulsory assessments:
- A 1.5-hour test for students to demonstrate their understanding of material covered throughout the module.
- Assignment based on the successful completion of a series of tasks or a given case study scenario. Students will produce a report (about 2000 words in total) detailing their findings of the investigation.
- 2-hour practical test to assess the understanding of fundamental concepts and their practical application.
Visit the online shop.