Introduction to Composites
*This course is delivered online*
The use of composite materials is at the forefront of exciting developments within aerospace, space, automotive, sports equipment, and many other industries. This online short course introduces composite materials, their applications in engineering and the benefits and challenges and will provide an overview of the technology and enable participants to develop their knowledge in this area.
Wrexham Glyndwr have significant expertise in Composite materials, with an advanced composites laboratory based in Broughton, where leading research into this exciting technology is undertaken.
This short course aims to
- To deliver an overview of the history of composite materials in aerospace and automotive industry
- To introduce the different types of composite materials available
- To be able to identify what different types of matrix and fibre materials are used in modern engineering
- To understand the benefit of using composite materials over traditional metallic materials.
This module will be taught solely online through short video lectures covering the topics below.
The first group of videos will be realesed on the 14th July and an associated Multiple Choice quiz through moodle to assess the learning outcomes of the content. A second group of videos will be released on the 16th August and a second multiple choice quiz will be used to assess the understanding of the content.
What you will study
The video lectures will be:
- Introduction to the course
- Overview of different composites types (polymer, ceramic and metallic matrix)
- Fibre materials and their architectures
- Thermoplastic polymers
- Thermo setting polymers
- Manufacturing polymer composites
- Issues in manufacture
- Handling, fabrication, and damage in composites.
- Composites in the aerospace industry
Two multiple choice online quizzes
Starts 14th July until 31st August
WGU staff/students/ Charitable Organisations Staff & volunteers = FREE
Visit the online store.