Independent advocacy: Practice and principles
This module aims to provide students with the skills and knowledge to practice independent advocacy. The skills and knowledge acquired through this course will be transferable, enabling students from a range of disciplines to employ the principles and practices of independent advocacy in a variety of settings.
At the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Analyse the key issues in developing the independent advocacy relationship
- Evaluate the underlying concepts and principles associated with maintaining the independent advocacy relationship
- Demonstrate the application of independent advocacy principles and purpose
What will you study?
An exploration of the purpose and principles of independent advocacy, such as :
- Person-centred practice
- Addressing inequality
- Wider policy
- Advocacy models
- Roles and responsibilities
- Skills, attitudes and attributes
Understanding the advocacy relationship, such as:
- Issues that affect the advocacy relationship
- Providing advocacy services
- Planning courses of action
- Supporting others to self-advocate
- Representing others
- Assessing outcomes
- Providing feedback
Maintaining the advocacy relationship, such as:
- Ethical and practical challenges
- Support and supervision
- Managing conflict
- Monitoring and recording
- Prioritising issues
- Understanding personal beliefs, values and attitudes.
2021 dates TBC. If you are interested in receiving notification of future dates please email firstname.lastname@example.org to log your interest.
Wrexham Glyndwr University
There will be two summative assessments for this module:
1. Students will work as a group to produce a presentation that analyses the key issues in developing an independent advocacy relationship and evaluates the key issues in maintaining this relationship
2. Students will identify an issue relevant to practice and participate in a simulated meeting to demonstrate the application of independent advocacy principles and purpose
Can be taken as part of the Glyndŵr University Certificate of Continuing Education: in Youth, Community & Care Studies
To book onto this course, please email email@example.com
Please note: Due to the changing coronavirus situation we may need to cancel or postpone future face to face courses. If you do decide to book and a course is cancelled, you will be offered a full refund.