GDPR Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Secure Campus: Information on how we're keeping our campuses safe.

Wrexham Glyndwr University Logo
WGU ten years
Short-Term Study Visa

Short-Term Study Visa

What is the short-term study visa route?

This visa allows non-EEA nationals to come to the UK to complete a short period of study for up to 6 months (or up to 11 months for intensive English language courses).

If you are a national of a country in the EEA or Switzerland, you do not need a visa to study.

What you can and cannot do on a Short-term study visa

You can:

  • Do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English course or a training course.
  • Do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad.

You cannot:

  • Study at a state-funded school
  • Work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business
  • Extend this visa
  • Bring family members (‘dependants’) with you – they must apply separately
  • Get public funds

English Language requirements

Students requiring a Short-term study visa are required to provide evidence that their English language skills are of an appropriate standard to ensure that they can engage, participate and achieve at the level of their intended course of study.

Glyndwr University requests that students are able to demonstrate they have competence in each of the 4 skill areas (listening, reading, writing and speaking) equivalent to B2 in the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).

Applicants who would like to study on an English programme at Glyndwr University are expected to meet the English language requirement for the programme as stated in the programme specification.

How do I apply for a Short-term Study visa?

To submit an application for a Short-term study visa you will first need to request an invitation letter from Glyndwr University, you can request this document by emailing with the following:

  • Dates of intended visit
  • The reason for the visit (e.g. English course or attend viva examination)
  • Current Passport
  • Evidence of English language ability equivalent to B2 on the CEFR.

Your Short-term study visa application

You can apply for this visa up to 3 months before the intended date of travel to the UK.

You must prove that you:

  • Have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study
  • Have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you.
  • Can pay for your return or onward journey

You should get a decision on your visa from the Home Office within 3 weeks of submitting your application.

If you have any questions about this visa please email or phone +44 (0) 1978 293057

Wrexham Glyndwr University Undergraduate Prospectus