Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for English Language Teachers
Why Choose this Course
English has already become a lingua franca in many professional fields and, in our highly globalised world, education is no exception. Thus it is imperative for English language teachers to continue upgrading their English language skills throughout their career. In response to this trend, the Language Centre at Wrexham Glyndŵr University has developed a special professional development course designed to meet the needs of non-native English teachers.
Our core CPD course consists of 200 hours of study, which is divided into 100 contact hours with course tutors and 100 hours of directed and private study. The minimum duration of the course is 4 weeks, but it is strongly recommended that participants extend their stay in order to optimise their learning experience in a UK University. Our highly-qualified and professional lecturers have experience of training teachers of all nationalities and mother tongues.
The course covers all four language skills with emphasis on improving communication skills. During the course, participants will have the chance to:
- attain significantly improved speaking and writing skills in English within a short period of time
- learn to understand the main varieties of spoken English with little difficulty, including some dialectal usage of British English
- update their knowledge and understanding of the socio-cultural, political and economic issues in the UK including the British education system and multiculturalism
- observe and evaluate English classes taught by experienced language lecturers
- discuss developing their own course materials for use in their home countries
- share their experiences as both language learners and language teachers
Towards the end of the course, participants will undertake assessment in all four skills at Advanced level. On successful completion, the University will award 20 UK Higher Education credits (10 ECTS) and a Wrexham Glyndŵr University Certificate of Participation.
In addition to attending core classes, participants will also take part in a diverse social programme with activities such as film projections, international evenings and visits to places of interest in both North Wales and beyond. These activities are designed to provide attendees with a deeper understanding of British life and culture, and therefore are an integral part of the professional learning experience.
Participants are provided with on-campus accommodation or are allocated to University housing a short distance from the main campus. Alternatively, help will be provided with other accommodation arrangements as appropriate. All accommodation is single en-suite (private toilet and shower).
Terms and conditions
Start dates are flexible but one month’s notice is required. Expected group sizes are usually between 8 and 15 participants.
If you have any questions or would like to request a tailor-made quote for your group, please send an email to email@example.com