Wrexham Glyndwr Cycle Scheme
Wrexham Glyndŵr University offers a cycle hire service for use by staff and students to travel between campuses and around Wrexham.
There are currently 17 cycles available for hire (two of these are on the Northop campus) and can be hired for up to 7 days at a time.
How the scheme works
If you would like to hire a Pool Bike go to the reception in the sports centre. You will need to show your valid student/staff ID card and will be asked to sign a booking form and you will need to read and agree to the terms and conditions of hire.
You will then be given the bike, bike lock/keys and safety equipment all of which are listed on the booking form you sign.
There are a few simple guidelines to follow to ensure your bicycle is secure. On occasion bicycle theft does occur on campus therefore it is important that staff and students alike are vigilant in protecting their property.
Use the facilities provided
There are several cycle stores on campus, with areas covered with CCTV. Please do not leave cycles in isolated places. Park cycles safely and considerately where they will not cause a danger or obstruction to others, particularly to older people, young children or people with disabilities.
It only takes a second
Leave your bike unlocked and it could be gone - please remember to always lock your cycle when leaving it, even if you are only away from it for what may seem like a short time. All bicycles are supplied with heavy duty locks, these must be used at all times and no substitute locks are allowed.
See campus map here
Based in the sports centre on campus
You and your bicycle
Make sure that you feel confident of your ability to ride safely on the road.
Be sure that:
- you choose the right size and type of cycle for comfort and safety
- lights and reflectors are kept clean and in good working order
- tyres are in good condition and inflated to the pressure shown on the tyre
- gears are working correctly
- the chain is properly adjusted and oiled
- the saddle and handlebars are adjusted to the correct height
All of our pool hire bikes are fitted with bells and safety equipment will be provided, however if you intend to travel on the road, it may be worth investing in your own hi-vis jacket.
- ensure your brakes are efficient
- at night, use front and rear lights and have a red rear reflector. (these are supplied with the bikes and MUST be returned along with the bike and associated equipment) Laws PCUR regs 6 & 10 & RVLR reg 18
Cycle Scheme Benefits
There are many reasons why cycling to and around campus will be of benefit to you, besides its obvious environmental advantages:
- Keep fit - Cycling is a fantastic way to keep fit and can help reduce the risk of heart disease
- Save money - Riding a bike is significantly cheaper than driving a car. Once you've got your bike it needs no fuel, insurance or tax...and it cost nowhere near as much to start with!
- Go faster! - Commuter challenges in other UK cities have shown that the bike is the quickest mode of transport in congested urban traffic
- Stay young! - Regular cyclists enjoy a fitness level equal to that of a person ten years younger. (Source: National Forum for Coronary Heart Disease Foundation, Sharp)
- Washing facilities - The University has showers available for use in the sports centre
- Free and convenient parking - Ever see a cyclist looking for a parking space?! The University provides a large amount of cycle storage across campus...just find a space for your bike in one of the many facilities on campus and remember to lock it up!