It's your time. Browse our range of undergraduate courses for September 2017 entry.

History of the University

Wrexham School of Science and Art

1887

Foundation of Wrexham School of Science & Arts.
 
Call by Viriamu Jones at National Eisteddfod for the establishment of a University of Wales.
 
Dr Reichel at Liverpool Welsh National Society says: “Immediate action will not give us a University in 1887, but it may make the date 1897 instead of 2007. Shall we begin to press the question of the Welsh University at once or shall we wait some years till we acquire strength and experience?”

1892

Started delivering university level education.

1915

Call by D Lleufer Thomas at National Eisteddfod for higher education in Wales to be extended to working classes.

1924

University of London degrees in Science offered by WSSA.

Denbighshire Technical Institute

1927

Moved to Regent Street Campus.
 
Became Denbighshire Technical Institute.

1937

Public lecture series: admission price 6d a lecture or 2s for the series.

1939

Name changed to Denbighshire Technical College.

Cartrefle

1945

Foundation of Cartrefle Teacher Training College.

1953

Move to new Plas Coch campus next to Wrexham Racecourse ground.

1954

Sporting links established with Chester College.

NEWI

1975

Merger of Denbighshire Technical College, Cartrefle Teacher Training College and Kelsterton College, Connah’s Quay, to form the North East Wales Institute.

1980s

Significant expansion in the number and range of international activities undertaken by NEWI. Projects include establishment of Khartoum Polytechnic, West Bank University, Lerotholi Polytechnic and university networks in Nigeria, Pakistan, Ghana.

1991

Retirement of Principal, Professor Glyn O Phillips. Appointment of Professor John O Williams as his successor.

1992

Establishment of Deeside College on old Kelsterton site. All Flintshire based further education transferred to new college.

1993

Disaggregation – NEWI transfers all its further education to Yale College.

1999

Retirement of Professor John O Williams.

2000

Closure of Cartrefle campus.

2001

Appointment of Professor Michael Scott as Principal.

2002

Start of institutional links with Harris Manchester College, University of Oxford, and Georgetown University, Washington DC.

2003

Visit to NEWI of HM the Queen.

2004

NEWI becomes a full member of the University of Wales.

2005

Visit to NEWI of HRH the Duchess of Gloucester

Glyndŵr University

2008

NEWI gains University status and becomes Glyndŵr University

Top